Anxiety Counselling Calgary – (panic Attacks)
Offered in Calgary, Nanton & via Telephone/Skype
Types of Anxiety
There are a variety of Anxiety Disorders for which our clients will seek our help. These include Generalized Anxiety Disorder-GAD, Hypochondria (mild, moderate or severe), Phobias, Panic Attacks, PTSD and Social Anxiety.
The Difference Between Anxiety and an Anxiety Disorder
All people will experience anxiety throughout their lives. So how do you know if its worth seeking counselling for? Well, here are 10 questions that may be helpful to ask yourself:
1) Do you think about your anxiety once a day or more?
2) Do you have physical symptoms that are uncomfortable, or get in the way of you enjoying your life?
3) Have you had anxiety or panic attacks in the past, thought you have dealt with them, only to have them return at a later date?
4) Do you have specific phobias or fears that prevent you from doing what you’d like to do? Or at least prevent you from doing these things without a moderate to high level of fear?
5) Do you have something from your past that recurs in your mind or in your dreams and causes you discomfort, shame or fear?
6) Do you find you are uneasy in certain social situations, and wish you could be more comfortable?
7) Do you feel you have to hide the anxiety you experience from others, and/or are you afraid of what it might mean or what others might think if they knew?
8) Are you afraid of where the anxiety you experience may lead if untreated? That you might ‘go crazy’, embarrass yourself in front of others, or ‘have a breakdown’?
9) Do you have trouble sleeping, either falling asleep or staying asleep, and find you’re unable to give your body adequate rest?
10) Do you find that you can feel stressed and overwhelmed to the point where eventually you feel mild to moderate depression, either feeling hopeless, helpless or trapped?
If you answered ‘yes’ to one or more of these questions, you may benefit from investing in yourself and working through these concerns with one of our therapists. You can schedule a no obligation free 20-minute consult to explain exactly what you are experiencing, and to hear what your therapist could offer.
What is the Best Form of Therapy for Anxiety?
Studies have shown a variety of effective approaches for cases of anxiety including, but not limited to, CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), Solution-Focused Therapy, Narrative Therapy and Psychodynamic approaches. What is most interesting about the research is that some has shown that only 15% of why people get better is due to the techniques used, whereas 30% was due to the relationship between the therapist and client. This is why, in addition to having helpful techniques, we allow you to see your therapist’s bio, and do a free 20-minute consultation if you’d like to, in order to see if your therapist is someone you feel comfortable working with. There are many well-trained professionals with knowledge about anxiety, but if you don’t find their personality a fit, this could seriously get in the way of your seeing lasting results.
A Final Tip About Anxiety Counselling
One more important point to note when looking for a counsellor to help with anxiety. The majority of Psychologists, Counsellors and Registered Psychologists approach anxiety simply from a psychological perspective. This is how most post-graduate training in therapy teaches helping professionals to approach this condition. At Living Well, however, we have several specialized professionals that approach anxiety from a three-pronged approach, which includes biological (how anxiety is a physical condition, and how to heal your body and nervous system physically); social (how relationships affect your stress levels, and what you can do about them); & psychological (how your current thinking and your past, affects your body and your relationships, and how to overcome fears, what-ifs and a general sense of being overwhelmed). Additionally, for those interested, some therapists will also explore spirituality, and how this affects questions of life (existential anxiety) and general peace of mind. We find this three, or four, pronged approach to be much more effective in case conceptualization and long term results.
*Our therapists offer counselling services in Calgary, Nanton and via Telephone & Skype. To book an Appointment, please go to our Appointment Request form .